Friday, April 30, 2010

Why should women cook at their in-laws place?!

I had an interesting, or should I say irritating discussion this morning. One of my friends was more than convinced that his wife should cook at HIS parents' home. I was rather too surprised to learn that he himself had never cooked at his own home. And it was too much for me to digest that he expected his would be wife to!

Worse than all, he defended his position. And it was quite simple. My wife would be a woman. A woman should know cooking. And it simply follows that a cook who is a woman and is his wife should cook for his family members too. Which woman would accept his proposal is an interesting event to watch for. But what surprises is that he has the heart to expect all this.

No, my friend isn't from the half-baked kind you imagine. He's an accomplished experienced and financially stable officer, with knowledge good enough to stir you up. But the conversation, or debate we had this morning proved to me beyond a shadow of doubt that male dominated culture/attitude still prevails even in affluent and literate circles.

I was further shocked to learn that many of my friends held a similar view, even women thought it was okay - and that was a bit disgusting. Of course, this conversation led to further shocking revelations. Someone said that even though he was quite a flirt, he would never tolerate his wife seeing anyone else. Men have that right, he believes. I promised myself that if I happen to be a daughter's father, she'd grow to be the toughest feminist this planet has ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts